Ben Morrow wrote:
> Quoth markjr...@gmail.com (Mark J. Reed):
>>
>> I still like the double-bracket idea. I don't much mind the extra
>> character; 5 characters total still beats the 7 of HTML/XML.
>
> I much prefer double-bracket to double-#: double-# gets caught out when
> you do s/^/# on code which already includes line-starting # comments.
>
> However, I would much rather see a general syntax like
>
>     (# ... )
>     {# ... }
>     [# ... ]
>
> with no whitespace allowed between the opening bracket and the #: this
> doesn't seem to conflict with anything. Allowing <# ... > in rules would
> also be nice.

That severely violates the principle of least surprise. To me [#...]
looks like an array ref which contains a comment, which is *not* what
you propose (I think).

It also feels like a step backwards. In Perl 6 we try to make things
clear from the beginning, not only from the second char on. Regex
modifiers at the, anybody? or (?#...) as comments in regexes in Perl 5?

In all other cases of quote like constructs are the semantics are
explicit first (think of Q, qx, m, <, «), the delimiter comes later.
Changing that all of a sudden seems very unintuitive and wrong.

Cheers,
Moritz