On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM, David Green<david.gr...@telus.net> wrote:
> Well, we can encode a URI any way we like -- I was thinking of anything up
> to the next whitespace or semicolon, and internal semicolons, etc. being
> %-encoded.

Semicolons are reserved characters in URIs: inappropriately percentage
encoding semicolons would be in direct violation of rfc3986. Using
them as delimiter would break many perfectly valid URIs. That's
absolutely a no-go IMNSHO.

Breaking up at whitespace should work, see appendix C of RFC 3986 for
recommendations on that.

> Maybe it's more practical to permit only URIs with little to no punctuation
> to be unquoted, and quote anything else?  Not that quoting is such a great
> hardship anyway....

Maybe, but if I can't use it half of the time it may as well be
omitted. Quoting should be relatively easy, because URIs have a wide
range of characters that can't be in them anyway.

Leon