2000 would have been a lovely epoch if only the astronomers had kept
their grubby hands off of civil time.  But no, we still have to put up
with leap seconds in civil time, for no good reason that I can discern.
We should adjust civil time once a century or so, I think.  After all,
civil time is off by *minutes* anywhere but the center of your timezone
stripe.  Why should a few seconds drift off of midnight matter to anyone
but an astronomer?  But no, many millions of computers have to accommodate
to the convenience of a very few people.  And most computers still don't
know how to do even that accommodation, since POSIX time is blissfully
unaware of leap seconds...

Sorry, you pushed one of my hot buttons.  Grrr!  :)

Larry