Since I came to programming after the days of Forth and Lisp being
prominent languages, I can't dispute nor concur with her statement.  How
would you respond?

First, a bit of advice that convinced me to go with Perl 6 not only
philosophically, but practically too.

Go here:
http://www.artlebedev.ru/tools/typograf/webservice/

This page is in Russian, but you just need the links with names of
programming languages at the bottom.

This is the website of Art. Lebedev studio, famous internationally for
the (yet-unreleased) Optimus keyboard and famous in Russia for
designing ace websites. On their website they also have a tool called
"Typograf" for improving the typesetting of plain text and HTML. And
they offer a webservice for it too. The links at the bottom of the
page show examples of code  for accessing the webservice in different
programming languages.

I was pleasantly surprised to see both Perl and Perl 6 there. When i
compared the two pieces of code, i was just stunned.

This code is practical. Hey, it's webservices!  For those vanilla
webservices the Perl 6 code was perfectly readable and cleaner than
its Perl 5 counterpart. And what's most important, *it was still
Perl*. Just cleaner and updated for 2006.

So there. Show that to your stubborn coworkers. The first sentence in
the Camel book can stay the same: Perl 6 is still a language to get
your job done and i believe that most of the time their job will be to
program webservices and not lazy-evaluated arrays or thread-safe
hyper-junctions. And when they will want to do that, they will be able
to.

Now about some philosophy ... I mostly second Fagyal - and please see below ...