On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Paul Makepeace <pa...@paulm.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 23:02, Gabor Szabo <szab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We will have questions about usage of Perl 5 and we think there should
>> be also questions
>> about Perl 6.
>
> Should Perl 6 be called something else?
>   * No
>   * Yes, not sure what
>   * Yes, [____]
>
> Maybe a question on perceived benefits for an alternative name.
>
> (It's quite apparent this is a very different language at the very
> least syntactically & I'm inclined to join others I've read in saying
> "Yes")

That would suggest that Larry Wall is soliciting ideas for a name
change, which is not the case.

I would not that it is not unheard of for a language to change
significantly but keep the name. If you look Fortran 2008 (just to
pick an example I'm familiar with) it looks *nothing* like FORTRAN II.
I'm no expert, but I believe K&R's original C language was noticeably
different from C99.

For amusement, below I include the same program in FORTRAN II and
Fortran 90. The program uses Heron's formula for finding the area of a
triangle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heron's_formula):

1) FORTRAN II  (note that all the indentations are significant!!!)

C READ FROM CARD READER UNIT 5
      READ INPUT TAPE 5, 501, IA, IB, IC
  501 FORMAT (3I5)

C COMPUTE AREA
  799 S = FLOATF (IA + IB + IC) / 2.0
      AREA = SQRT( S * (S - FLOATF(IA)) * (S - FLOATF(IB)) *
     +     (S - FLOATF(IC)))

C OUTPUT TO LINE PRINTER UNIT 6
      WRITE OUTPUT TAPE 6, 601, IA, IB, IC, AREA
  601 FORMAT (4H A= ,I5,5H  B= ,I5,5H  C= ,I5,8H  AREA= ,F10.2,
     +        13H SQUARE UNITS)
      STOP
      END

2) Fortran 90:

program heron
    integer :: a,b,c
    real :: s, area

    ! Read from stdin.
    read (*,*) a,b,c

    ! Compute the area.
    s = ( a + b + c)/2
    area = sqrt( s * (s-a) * (s-b) * (s-c) )

    write (*,*) a,b,c,area
end program

--
No trees were destroyed in the generation of this email, but a large
number of electrons were severely inconvenienced.