It's also the case that there's no language dependency on any given
implementation of larger ints. We could move to a format that, though
slower, would support truly arbitrary sized integers in the future, should
there become a real need.

But I can assure you that such a need isn't likely. Working with very large
numbers doesn't really work the same as working with small numbers. When
you want to understand a number like the power-tower of 3s that is 3^3^3
high (a mammoth number, but only the first step in the 64-iteration process
of producing Graham's number), representing it as a region of memory isn't
really interesting. What you want to know about it are things that there
are other ways to calculate, such as its modulus by certain primes, its log
in various bases, etc.

Aaron Sherman, M.:
P: 617-440-4332 Google Talk, Email and Google Plus: a...@ajs.com
Toolsmith, developer, gamer and life-long student.