On 2017-09-29 09:53, Parrot Raiser wrote:
-e is fairly easy. It asks if something exists. Ignoring Schrodinger,
either it does (i.e True) or it doesn't. (False)
-f is more ambiguous. It asks if something has a property (fileness)
or not. If it exists, it either does or doesn't. [...]

Bash appears to err on the pragmatic side, returning "fail" for both
-e and -f on a non-existent file.

But that's not what Bash (and the original implementation, /bin/test) do.  From "man test":

       -e FILE
              FILE exists

       -f FILE
              FILE exists and is a regular file

The problem is that Perl 6 is currently asking "is something a regular file?" which leads to this debate about what should happen if the thing doesn't exist.  I think it would be easier and clearer if Perl 6 instead adopted the standard meaning /bin/test, Bash, Python, and other languages use.  This is arguably the most common thing to test for, and it is also what most programmers will expect (principal of least surprise).   I the less common case where someone wants to do different things depending on whether something does not exist or is/isn't a regular file, then instead of calling $file.f and differentiating between two non-True values, I think the code would be clearer if they tested $file.e first and then $file.f -- this should be nearly equal in efficiency since the file metadata (the results of the stat() system call on POSIX-like operating systems) should be cached.

In other words, I think we should change the Perl 6 spec to define .f as "exists and is a file".

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org