On 09/11/2018 08:17 AM, Laurent Rosenfeld via perl6-users wrote:
Hi Todd,

I fully agree with Tom B.'s message that you should really set out to read a Perl 6 book. Many of the things you asked are covered in most of the available books. And the available books are easier than the official documentation for a beginner to start understand the basic underlying concepts.

I should add that you don't even have to /buy/ one book, since my own /Think Perl 6/ book is freely available on the Internet (Creative Commons license): https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-perl-6/. Well, if you are interested in reading it, I'd suggest you look for the PDF on my Github repository (https://github.com/LaurentRosenfeld/thinkperl6/tree/master/PDF), because it is more up-to-date (number of small corrections made following comments from readers).

So it would take you just a few minutes (at no cost) to download it and start enjoying it.

Cheers,
Laurent.

Hi Laurent,

Ordinarily I would agree with you.  But I know my own brain and
how it works.  I only learn by doing.  Have tried to change that
and can't.

When I "dive in", I open up the reference docs and bang away.
I also use Google, but that is next to useless in Perl 6 as Perl 5
hits drowned Perl 6 out.

I am 62 years old, have a bachelors degree in Electronic and
Computer Engineering, Cum Laude and have been programming
things all my life.  I live with the reference page open
while pounding out code.

Perl 6's document are next to useless for me.  This is the first
time I have come across references that were so badly done.
And programming of the Automated Test Equipment I did
had some documents to behold.  CP-M was not fun either.

Do not misunderstand, I ADORE Perl 6.  It is a wonderful clean
up of Perl 5, especially the subroutine definitions and regex's.
The only step backward is the docs.

The developers have their own specification/documentation.
The reference docs need to be written for the rest of us.

By the way, I never mastered Perl 5's regex's.  I used them,
but could never figure out exactly what I did.  In Perl 6
I now can throw them together off the top of my head.  It
is kind of fun.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.