On 2018-09-30 13:01:32 +0330, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 9/26/18 7:27 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> And again: this is only because you know perl 5. People are not born
>> knowing perl 5; to someone who doesn't know it, perldoc raises the
>> same kinds of questions you have been asking, and the answers have
>> to be found in perlsyn or perldata, etc. Which is exactly what you
>> have been complaining about with respect to perl 6 doing the same
>> kind of thing.
>
> Geez Louise Bradley!  The above is a really bad argument!
>
> "perldocs -f xxx" is a bazillion times easier to understand
> than Perl 6's manual, regardless if you know Perl 5 or not.
>
> And, by the way, I wonder just how may are coming to Perl 6
> without ANY Perl 5 experience?
>
> In every instance I can look up, perldocs puts Perl 6's
> documentation to shame.
>
> A simple comparison: which one leaves you knowing how to use
> the function and which one leaves you wondering "What the h***???"
>
> $ perldoc -f join
>     join EXPR,LIST
>             Joins the separate strings of LIST into a single string with
>             fields separated by the value of EXPR, and returns that new
>             string. Example:
>
>                my $rec = join(':',
> $login,$passwd,$uid,$gid,$gcos,$home,$shell);
>
>             Beware that unlike "split", "join" doesn't take a pattern
>             as its first argument. Compare "split".
>

> https://docs.perl6.org/routine/join#(List)_routine_join
>
>     (List) routine join
>
>     Defined as:
>
>     sub    join($separator, *@list --> Str:D)
>     method join(List:D: $separator --> Str:D)
>
>     Treats the elements of the list as strings, interleaves
>     them with $separator and concatenates everything into a
>     single string.
>
>     Example:
>
>     join ', ', <a b c>;             # RESULT: «a, b, c»
>
>     Note that the method form does not flatten sublists:
>
>     say (1, <a b c>).join('|');     # OUTPUT: «1|a b c␤»

I actually found the Perl 6 description more readable. And the example
is better too.

But I think the example should show the slurpy part too. (join ', ', 1, 2, 3)

> Oh and what the &*@% is a "*@list"?

It seems you want to read a signature without learning how signatures
work.
https://docs.perl6.org/type/Signature#Slurpy_%28A.K.A._variadic%29_parameters

> And why does the sub have one
> and the method does not?  They are suppose to be identical.
>
> -T

Because one is a method and the other is a sub. Look at "List:D:".
And they are not identical, the last example showed the difference.

People have suggested you to try a book and you have disagreed. But to
me it looks like you are reading different chapters of a book different
people are writing for you on the mailing list.