N6Ghost,

I use Perl 6 exclusively now for "systems" work.

        - SSH commands to 500 systems to gather their info using
promises/supplies/channels
        - make Perl 6 modules for cantankerous system management utilities,
then write scripts that use my .pm6 modules for various purposes (I.e.
enterprise backup/restore clients)
        - organize various REST APIs (I.e. vSphere, ISP OpCenter, ILMT) in .pm6
modules, get status, send to NOC consoles to alert on-call people, email
administrators
        - parse arcane utilities (I.e. IBM's tape utility) that produce
structured output with grammars, then take action (eject some tapes, check-in
only inbound cartridges that are returning from the vault, etc.)

I began this use-pattern in 1996 with Perl 4, then to 5.  I started to get
annoyed by the things that many people have pointed out about Perl.  I looked
at other scripting languages, but I saw a lot of the same annoyances.  Perl 6
doesn't annoy me at all -- flows great for me, very elegant.  Using
Python/Ruby/Perl5/etc. again makes me wince.

I think that Perl 6 has long term potential.  I don't want to strategically
plan to become deeply proficient in multiple languages if I can avoid it.  (My
spouse is Chinese and I'm expected to learn Mandarin too!)  Perl 6 appears to
have what I need until retirement (53 now).  I think that it has legs.

Mark