On 11/4/19 8:40 AM, Andy Bach wrote:
 At the top of all my Perl 6 programs, I place
 #!/usr/bin/env perl6

 So I decided to run env by itself and see what I got:

     $ /usr/bin/env perl6
     You may want to `zef install Readline` or `zef install
         Linenoise` or use rlwrap for a line editor

     To exit type 'exit' or '^D'

 Is this suppose to happen?

Yes. The "shebang" line
#!/usr/bin/env perl6

means "use the env to find the perl6 exe and run it" just as:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl6

does, only that's more specific.  So, you're seeing P6 in interactive mode, and it's advising you that w/o Linenoise or Readline, you won't be able to use "<up arrow>" etc for editing in interactive mode.
$ man env
NAME
        env - run a program in a modified environment

You can do
$ which perl6
to see where the exe might be found, too.

Thank you!

I had to use find to located it.  Then I created links.

    # ls -s /opt/rakudo-pkg/bin/zef   /usr/bin/zef
    # ls -s /opt/rakudo-pkg/bin/perl6 /usr/bin/perl6

Then which found it.

I use env exclusively as the Fedora repo and git use
different paths and I never know what one my customers
are using
  • env? ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
    • Re: env? William Michels via perl6-users
    • Re: env? Andy Bach
      • Re: env? ToddAndMargo via perl6-users