I'm treating this as a test of the process, reporting the problems
created, so that the process can be fixed. Merely hacking up a
solution might give me a better functioning installation, but it would
leave the problem for everyone else.

The unfriendly filenames are really an additional issue. Ordinarily,
they shouldn't be visible to users, but they complicate reporting and
fixing.