Hi,

if you can, I'd suggest storing the pdl as a binary data into the
database, for best performance.

DBI converts everything else into perl strings, which you probably want
to avoid. How well does your approach scale?

I've been thinking about that problem - but no more - for some time, and
would have ended with something very similar to your module.