For PSTN replacement deployments in effectively private networks, the case
for transport-level security is unconvincing, sure.

To Steve Kent's earlier point, documents that explain why strong security
is a best practice for particular environments would do better than a
blanket assertion that SIP must always use TLS. If the latter statement
were built into RFC3261, it would serve little purpose other than
rendering many implementations non-compliant with RFC3261. A BCP could
however provide the necessary motivation for using TLS in the situations
where it will actually help, and the recent revelations make that case
rather eloquently.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.