> public sector data collectio
 n has obviously blurred as more and more data is exchanged between the two,
but that does not make the two of them equivalent.
I appreciate your analysis, but I don't necessarily agree with your
conclusions. The state has a responsibility to provide for the security of
its citizens. To the extent that surveillance supports this goal, it is
potentially justified, irrespective of whether every citizen agrees with the
methods. Corporate collection of personal data tends to be driven by greed,
not quite so noble a goal :-).

I agree that the state has a more powerful capability to collect info about
Internet users, and yes, there are no T's & C's to read and agree to (or,
more likely ignore and agree to). But that does not mean that we, as
developers of Internet standards, are in a position to know whether all
users feel that state vs. corporate surveillance is a greater personal
concern, and thus warrants mandatory to use (vs. implement) security
features.
> For the list: much of this thread's discussion seems to presume that the
business considerations behind individual companies' decisions about whether
to deploy secure protocols or not are unchanged from what they were four
months ago prior to the beginning of the revelations. Yet elsewhere there
seems to be a whole lot of hand-wringing going on about how much business is
being lost or how nervous various customers are in the wake of the
revelations. Can we really assume that no IT managers in charge of
enterprise SIP deployments or middlebox-based backwards-compatability
solutions are even considering re-evaluating how they balance competing
requirements?

[RS> ]  Short answer. No.  Especially if the cost far outweighs the
benefits.

I'll defer to folks with more direct experience with these businesses, but I
have seen no such change in perception. The only change I have seen is that
enterprises makign use of cloud storage and backup are more concerned about
the confidentiality of the data stored there, and are considering offshore
alternatives.

Steve