"Christian Huitema" <huit...@huitema.net> wrote
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 12:53:49 -0700:

|                               In fact, if I am not mistaken, the
| European data retention rules require that network providers keep that
| kind of information available for 18 months, and provide it on request.

There is a EU directive mandating member states to pass laws storing
some traffic data for 6 to 24 months, at the member states choice.

I know that some member states legislation requires ISP:s to store more
or less the contents of DHCP logs. I'm not sure which states, if any,
stipulate storing RADIUS logs in addition to that.

|          We can expect similar rules to appear in other regions.

Let's hope not. The data retention directive was declared invalid [0] by
the Court of Justice of EU day before yesterday.

Swedish providers are already announcing they will stop storing their
customers meta data for the purpose of data retention.

[0]
http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2014-04/cp140054en.pdf