Richard Barnes <r...@ipv.sx> wrote:
    >> I don't think this is is this going to help eliminate the invalid
    >> certificates that seem inevitable from things like ILOMs/iDRAC/etc.
because
    >> the https interface to the service processor never knows what zone it
will
    >> use.     I'd love to find a way for such appliance uses of HTTPS to come
    >> up secure in some way.
    >>

    > I would be interested in that as well, since those things are a major
    > source of cert validation bugs.  Any ideas for what the authentication
    > would be?  Or maybe there's no meaningful authentication here, and it's a
    > use case for HTTP over unauthenticated TLS.

I agree that given what we have here, HTTP over unauthenticated TLS (with
TOFU, ideally) would be significant better than training IT managers to click
through the warning.  I think that we should have, as a goal, elimination of
the click through certificate warning... nobody should ever do that.

In the case of an ILOM, we can't predict a name or an IP address which the
device can claim... but, the manufacturer usually has a MAC address, Asset
Tag, or other identifier which is often unique.  If only *THAT* could go into
the Location Bar instead of the IP address.  Yes, this is user interface
thing... sorta.. it's really about a different kind of URI.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-