On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 17:08, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> He forwarded Massoud's offensive message to me.  So I decided I
> should reply on list.  --  Not surprisingly, there is no email
> address from Massoud Hashemi on the web.

Massoud was among the few Persian programmers of the BBS and early
internet era. He is a friend of Reza Mahjurian that you (Behdad) know. I
remember some communication with him in the early days of FarsiWeb.

Of course he doesn't explain the source of his data file and its
copyright status in his message, but I'm sure he has not *compiled* it
himself. I consider his message offensive also.

> Next, using pirated software in Iran is completely legal.

1) Please refrain from using the term "pirated" for software (as per
RMS).

2) Software copyright infringement is not legal in Iran. It is only that
Iranian copyright law doesn't protect software first distributed outside
Iran. So copying Zarnegar without the permission of the vendor is not
legal in Iran.

> The
> software copyrights of any country other than Iran is NOT valid
> in Iran (yet).

That is a better approximation, but still incorrect. The fact is "one
cannot claim copyright in Iran on any software first released outside
Iran".

> On the other hand, the data in a dictionary IS
> copyrighted by Iranian laws.

Very true. And the copyright is still valid, it will only become invalid
after 30 years passes from the death of all authors. Of course we are
assuming that the information comes from Aryanpour, and Massoud has not
compiled it himself.

[From Massoud's email]
> > Words are for People.

What is this supposed to mean?!

> There is no copyright law
> > in iran so you can copy even $10,000 software for $1 and is funny when
> > somebody talk about copyright there.

There is copyright in Iran, and it has been in effect since long ago in
case on books and other publications. And that law was even applicable
to software before a software copyright law got passed in the early days
of the seventh Islamic Republic Majlis, and had just got its
"aayin-naame" approved by the Board of Ministsers.

Ali, I really recommend investigation further into the source of the
*information* as a compilation, not who encoded the bits.

roozbeh