On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 08:10, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> First one is the concept of an abbreviation:  I'm strongly with
> the idea that a single letter is not called an abbreviation.  I
> doubt if anyone disagree on this.
>
> Ok, let's see what we have in English:
>
> Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, ...
> Sun, Mon, Tue, ...
> S, M, T, ...
>
> January, February, March, ...
> Jan, Feb, Mar, ...
> J, F, M, ...
>
> Let's call the first representation the "long form", the second
> the "short form", and the third the "letter form".  Now, again, I
> doubt if anyone disagree here that the entries in the "short
> form" are called abbreviations, neither the "long form", nor the
> "letter form".
>
> And where are they used:
>
> * "long form", in long date representations.  Using the usual
> sample:  "Tuesday, 21 September 1982".
>
> * "short form", in a compact representation and in width-limited
> fields: "Tue, 21 Sep 1982".
>
> * "letter form", used ONLY in a two dimensional representation of
> a calendar.  Like this:
>
>          September 1982
>       S  M  T  W  T  F  S
>                 1  2  3  4
>        5  6  7  8  9 10 11
>       12 13 14 15 16 17 18
>       19 20 21 22 23 24 25
>       26 27 28 29 30
>
> Infact, when space allows, a two letter variant looks even
> better:
>
>          September 1982
>       Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
>                 1  2  3  4
>        5  6  7  8  9 10 11
>       12 13 14 15 16 17 18
>       19 20 21 22 23 24 25
>       26 27 28 29 30
>
> But you never see: "T, 21 S 1982", do you?  (mister Jones :P).
> So, the point is that, the "letter form" (or "biletter form") is
> not an abbreviation, and is an straight *mechanical* derivation
> of the other forms, to fulfill the space requirements.  Again,
> note that it's simply "S", not "S.", ie. no abbreviation.

I copy everything to this point. I agree completely now. (I believed
otherwise about two months ago or something like that, until Behdad
convinced me.)

> * "short form", we don't have short forms in Persian.  There is
> an strong reason for that:  We don't have upper and lower case
> letters.  Why can we have these abbreviations in English?
> Because "Sat" is completely different from "sat".  But that's not
> possible in Persian.  In Persian the only way to make
> abbreviations is to pick the first letters of a phrase, like
> "h.sh." for "hejrie shamshi".

I can't agree. There are other ways, like what Mosahab Persian
Encyclopedia has done. I'll get one of FarsiWeb staff to scan a page.

> * "letter form", is again used quite like the English case, ie.
> in two dimensional printed calendars, but NOT anywhere else.

Agreed.

> So, next time, don't let Roozbeh fool you with sayin those guys
> use it in Sharif University :P.

Hmmm... They use it where you say they use it. On tables.

> If you find anyone who claims
> "letter form" is used in Persian for anything other than what I
> described, ..., he's trying to confuse you for sure :P.

I copy you.

roozbeh