Hi Behdad,

I have a question (targeting you and everybody else working on Persian locale projects such as .Net)

The lunar Hijri calendar used in Iran is also an official calendar and is calculated independent from other Hijri calendars used in other islamic countries. It is an important calendar, since it determines half of the holidays on our calendar. We also know that it has slightly different month lengths than other Hijri calendars.

Are you going to identify and support that calendar as well? Then what would you call it in English? The answer to this question may affect "Iranian Calendar" term as well.

If you ask me, we can keep "Iranian Calendar" and call the Hijri calendar "Iranian Secondary Calendar" or "Iranian Religious Calendar" or something like that. I think we should avoid solar / lunar designations in the English name to make it more meaningful and less confusing for none-Iranians. With the same logic one may suggest using "Iranian Primary Calendar" instead of "Iranian Calendar" to emphasize the fact that more than one official regional calendar exists in Iran.

My final verdict? I need to sleep on it for a while.

Hooman Mehr