On Sun, 16 May 2004, Omid K. Rad wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2004, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > So we've reached a consensus on using "Iranian Calendar" for
> > the term referring to the solar calendar in action in Tehran,
> > right? So we forget about Jalali name, and call it Iranian
> > Calendar, quite like Chinese, Japanese, and other countries.
>
> "Iranian Calendar" is okay IMHO, but I like the "Persian Calendar"
> better for the name of the calendar system, since it covers more
> countries. In Iran we use the Iranian subtype of the Persian calendar,
> and in Afghanistan the Jalali subtype is used. I don't know about
> Tajikistan.
>
> Fortunately in .NET it is possible to define subtypes for a calendar
> system provided that they use the same algorithm but differ in day
> names, month names, date patterns and so on.

But the Iranian and Afghan Calendars do not use the same
algorithm.  The Afghan algorithm is more or less the Gregorian
one...  Just keep in mind, the whole complexity of the Persian
Calendars is the leap-year calculation.  When Iran and
Afghanistan have two completely different leap-year calculation
algorithms, I see absolutely no point in merging them and then
sub-typing...

> Omid

--behdad
  behdad.org