On Mon, 17 May 2004, Ali A Khanban wrote:
> Of course, it is possible to find the exact date, for example by looking
> at the archive of "Ettela'at" or "Kayhan" newspapers, and see when the
> date in their title changes. Unfortunately, I don't have access to them
> at the moment, maybe later.

ok, the info is online at Encyclopaedia Iranica:
http://www.iranica.com/articlenavigation/index.html
search under calendars--Islamic period
page 672
(you can't seem to go there directly as they have a pdf file for each
page)

Here's the relevant part:

On 24 Esfand 1354 Sh. / 14 March 1975 the
Majles approved a new era based on the supposed year of accession of the
first Achaemenid king, Cyrus the Great (559 B.C.); thus, 21 March 1976
became the first day (Nowruz) of the year 2535 in the Shaahanshaahi era.
The month names of the Persian solar Hejri calendar were retained wihout
change.  Official documents and publications were dated according to the
new calendar.  This caused much confusion and created widespread
discontent, particularly among the clergy.   Eventually, on 5 Shahrivar
1357 Sh./27 August 1978, the government, in the face of the coming
revolution, reverted to the solar Hejri calendar.  This calendar is
reckoned from 1 Farvardin, 119 days before 1 Moharram of the Arabian lunar
year in which the hejra took place.  The Julian date corresonding to the
first day of the solar Hejri era is 19 March 622.  Taqizadeh gives 17
March 622 (1937-39, p. 916), which was apparently the date arrived at by
the Persian commission for calendar reform in 1304 Sh./1925.

----
Wow, 3 whole years it lasted! However, must have been a productive 3 years
as I do come across publications with the Shahanshahi date now and then.
I still think it's worth mention in your documentation.
Looks like it was abbreviated with Shin.
-Connie