Hello all -

In my experience creating and maintaining databases for tracking pest information and working with the IPMWG I have come to the conclusion that the id of the trap is not where your focus should be. In pest tracking you are actually tracking a specific location. The trap in that location will most likely change many times and may be of different types but the location will never change. You many not track pests in that location but the location will always be there.

The system I use in Zpest (and can easily be duplicated in a spreadsheet) is to use a drill down system such as this:

For example let’s say your museum comprises 5 buildings – 2 downtown and 3 in the northwest suburb. You would then have 2 global identifiers. I call these Areas. One Area would be “Downtown”, the other “Northwest”.

Next would be the Building name or number. Within each Building are 1 or more Floor numbers. Next would be a Room number and then a Location. The Location is a description that would make it easy for someone to find where the trap was located. Some examples - “South corner under last window”, “Left side of stairway door”. Use whatever you would tell someone you sent to get the trap at that location.

This information combined dictates the location of the trap. “Downtown, Building 2, Floor 2, Room 3, Left side of stairway door”. The actual Trap ID could be the date the trap was received combined with a sequential number counting the traps received. This would be 09/27/2017-1, 09/27/2017-2, and so on.

“Downtown, Building 2, Floor 2, Room 3, Left side of stairway door, 09/27/2017-2” added to the date the trap was inspected gives you the information create reports showing the effectiveness of your pest management and trends in pest counts – which is usually the reason for tracking. These fields combined give you the location of where the trap is or was. This can be done with a spread sheet or with a program written specifically for tracking pests.

So I suggest these fields for tracking:

Area
Building

Floor
Room
Location
Trap Id
Trap Type

Much work on this subject has been done by the IPMWG and more information can be found on the Museumpests.net site. A good document discussing this is this product by the IPMWG -

https://museumpests.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Updated-_Field_List_for_Pest_Observation_Databases.pdf

Leon Zak

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/3606f116-f96b-8af4-533d-46476be3da69%40leonzak.com.