Hi Elizabeth,

I vary my numbers of traps depending on what is stored in any given room. For
example, my rooms containing textiles collections have more traps, more closely
spaced, than do my rooms containing lower-risk items like ceramics. If I have
something of concern show up one month, I may add a few more traps nearby in
order to keep closer tabs on the area  for a while. Bear in mind that sticky
blunder traps are meant for monitoring what’s living in your space, not for
eradicating any problems, so, ideally, the more traps you have out the more
accurate your data will be. On the flip side, the more traps you have out, the
more time it will take to monitor and record your findings. I work for a mid to
large size museum with collections stored and exhibited in 5 separate
buildings, but I am a conservation department of one, so I find that monitoring
about 50 traps in total on a once monthly rotation is about the best I can
manage and takes me about one full day per month between checking the traps and
managing my data. You would adjust that to suit your facility, type of
collections, frequency and type of pest you are finding, and available staff.

Dee

Dee A. Stubbs-Lee, MA, CAPC
Conservator / Restauratrice
New Brunswick Museum