They are similar looking cousins, but the kissing bug has red patches and a
rounder body.  Also, the conifer seed bug, and other similar 'harmless'
types have leaf-shaped hind legs, while the kissing bug has slender hind
legs.
Having said that, i just read where there is a recorded instance of a
conifer seed bug biting a human which resulted in something like a spider
bite.  So possibly not as 'cute' and harmless as I had thought....

Linda Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation, LLC