After recently having issues with our cafeteria floor drains, post shut
down, I have decided it would be a good idea if we had a drain protocol. I
was not involved in treating this area due to being on furlough so all my
info is second hand.

Background
Our cafeteria floor drains started breeding drain flies, copious amounts of
them, once we shut down. At the time dilute mixes of bleach and water were
flushed down the drains. This slowed their breeding but didn’t stop the
drain flies altogether. At some point a corroded area of the pipe leaked
into a lower level. It is assumed the bleach resulted in corroding a pipe.
Once the pipe was repaired the plumbers suggested putting antifreeze down
the pipes. This effectively ended our drain fly problem.

My questions are ...
1. Is there a way we can clean out the floor drains to prevent drain flies
from laying eggs in them?
2. Is there a treatment that does not require weekly drain maintenance?
This proved to be very time consuming to the few people taking care of the
building.
3. What did the antifreeze do to the drain flies to make them disappear
immediately after application.

Thank you for taking the time to review this issue.

Best Ann

Ann Frisina
Textile Conservator
TSG Chair 2020