From: pestlist@googlegroups.com [mailto:pestlist@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Ann Frisina
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 12:25 PM
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com
Subject: [PestList] Drain Flies and their treatment.

After recently having issues with our cafeteria floor drains, post shut down, I
have decided it would be a good idea if we had a drain protocol. I was not
involved in treating this area due to being on furlough so all my info is
second hand.

Background
Our cafeteria floor drains started breeding drain flies, copious amounts of
them, once we shut down. At the time dilute mixes of bleach and water were
flushed down the drains. This slowed their breeding but didn’t stop the drain
flies altogether. At some point a corroded area of the pipe leaked into a lower
level. It is assumed the bleach resulted in corroding a pipe. Once the pipe was
repaired the plumbers suggested putting antifreeze down the pipes. This
effectively ended our drain fly problem.

My questions are ...
1. Is there a way we can clean out the floor drains to prevent drain flies from
laying eggs in them?
2. Is there a treatment that does not require weekly drain maintenance? This
proved to be very time consuming to the few people taking care of the building.
3. What did the antifreeze do to the drain flies to make them disappear
immediately after application.

Thank you for taking the time to review this issue.

Best Ann

Ann Frisina
Textile Conservator
TSG Chair 2020
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd. W.
St. Paul, MN 55413
651 259-3385

--

pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/CAA%2BKrTT5QaczpzwncwL8H%2B4eNf8Rege-xZM60%3DyysqY0jiD_KQ%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/CAA%2BKrTT5QaczpzwncwL8H%2B4eNf8Rege-xZM60%3DyysqY0jiD_KQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.