From: pestlist@googlegroups.com [mailto:pestlist@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Katy Corneli
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 4:45 PM
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com
Subject: [PestList] Carpet Beetle Risk

Hello all,

In the four years that I have been doing IPM at my current museum we have
trapped three adult carpet beetles. (I have logged them as Anthrenus verbasci
though am open to correction). My question is less about identification and
more about threat level. The three beetles in the attached images were found in
traps on two different levels of the museum each at least a year apart. I put
down additional traps in the area each time I came across one and never came up
with any more beetles or their larvae. I assumed they were incidental, brought
in on the clothing of our visitors. Looking back at my photos though I began to
wonder.

The first two images are from May of 2018 and March 2021 and the pattern on
their elytra(?) looks nearly identical to my novice eyes. Our third specimen,
found in July of 2019, strikes me as very similar also but a bit “paler” in its
coloring. I don’t know much about these insects beyond what their larvae can do
to our collection. Are similar patterns indicative of some localized “family”
of beetles somewhere in our building? Or would any member of this species have
such a pattern? Most importantly, is there anything else I can do besides
laying down additional traps and monitoring more frequently to assess the
actual threat level these specimens represent? Any insight is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Katy

Katharine Corneli
Collections Manager | Conservator
Prehistoric Museum<https://eastern.usu.edu/museum/>
Office: 435-613-5765
Email: katharine.corn...@usu.edu<mailto:katharine.corn...@usu.edu>
[cid:14962061-2FAF-4E35-AB43-45898538268B]

pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/BYAPR07MB49980BD2F06D3963545A1A60EA759%40BYAPR07MB4998.namprd07.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/BYAPR07MB49980BD2F06D3963545A1A60EA759%40BYAPR07MB4998.namprd07.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.