We used a homemade solution of boric acid and corn syrup.  It worked like a
charm, and you know exactly what's in it.  5 milliliters or one teaspoon of
boric acid to 60 milliliters or a quarter cup of corn syrup, mix well,
place a few drops on wax paper or a little tray near the ant trail but away
from human feet.  You can store what you don't use in a sealed jar and
replenish the bait daily.  Discard after a couple of weeks.  It's safe
around people and larger animals, and unless you smear it on something it
won't affect your collection materials.

I also would not bother with exterior spraying just for ants (though it
really shouldn't affect your collections unless an air intake was
sprayed).  The only way to get rid of ants is to get the pesticide into the
colony, and the only way to do that successfully is to get the ants to
carry it in.  The corn syrup/boric acid trick works well because the ants
carry it back into the colony where it is fed to all the other ants.  A
pest control tech taught me this and it has been successful for me.

Alan

*Alan Van Dyke *
Senior Preservation Technician
Harry Ransom Center