I agree with Alan – plain sticky traps should do the trick, as close to the
plants as possible. I have had 2 major experiences with live plants in
galleries.

The first was plants as art – so it was a temporary exhibition. This was
decades ago – so my memory is kind of vague. In that case, we placed sticky
traps and monitored closely for the run of the show.  Make sure that the plants
are healthy to start with.

The second was grow-boxes in the galleries (ethnographic – so part of the
program).  These were permanent displays.  We ran into a lot of problems with
incidentals such as red spider mites, flies etc.  To monitor we trapped with
cleverly hidden sticky traps, both at the ground level and in the light boxes
that were placed above the planters.  One thing we looked for was the health of
the plants. Sick plants are more likely to attract more critters. After a
serious infestation of the plants, I insisted that all soil being used be baked
to kill off micro-organisms and any insects living in the soil. After the soil
was sterilized fertilizer (and whatever else  was needed to grow healthy plants
was added back.  This helped to control future infestations.

Finally, I have seen mice take up residence in potted plants. Just to add to
the concern.

Feel free to contact me.

Gretchen Anderson

Gretchen Anderson