Good Afternoon Ariana,

First of all – expect to have incidental insects coming in.  These incidentals
are not museum pests that cause direct damage to your collection.  For example
the spider (yes it is a very small spider) is an incidental – and, as a hunter
will be targeting other insects for dinner. Some of these insects may have come
in in the soil. The incidentals are primarily a problem because they might
become a food source for the pests – the ones that can cause damage to other
collections.   The “silverfish” looks kind of strange – I will be interested in
seeing what others think of it.

I have had some experience with growing plants in exhibition halls – both short
term and long term.  When I was at a museum that grew plants the galleries we
had serious problems with living plant pests and insects.  The first thing we
did was make sure that no insects (or mold) came in by heating the soil.  We
heated it in a regular oven to kill off any insect that might be living in the
soil, at about 150 –200 deg. F.  We kept constant (daily or weekly) observation
on the plants as they grew – watching for plant pests (red spider mites, etc.
depending on what the plant was).  Kept the plants well fed and watered so as
not to stress them out.  Sick plants will attract more bugs.  We also monitored
around the plants.  If plants got sick, we immediately removed them.  We also
used insecticidal soap as a deterrent. New plants were closely examined prior
to planting. Better yet, grow from seed.

Here is a question for you.  Did you monitor the gallery prior to growing the
plants?  If so, that would tell you if you had a population of  insects (and
spiders) living in the gallery.

Good luck!
Gretchen

Gretchen Anderson