Hello all,

A board member recently donated an old map cabinet to us. I was somehow under
the impression it was metal but when we went to pick it up it was wood. And had
been stored in their garage for 30 years.... I was hoping we could still find a
use for it but when I unloaded it outside the museum and took out the drawers I
discovered it is, of course, full of pest residue. I had never planned on using
it for collections but was hoping it might be useful for storing flat supplies.
My sheepish question, now that we have it, is: Can we actually use it? Would
you?

My main concern is eggs that might be laid in the joints. I have vacuumed it
and dusted diatomaceous earth in the interstices where possible but am not sure
that will be enough. We do not have access to a freezer large enough to treat
it or any kind of oxygen depletion system. Is there another safe treatment
method we might use? And is it even worth the trouble for a cabinet made
partially of plywood?

Thank you for any advice,
Katy

Katharine Corneli