RMIT Classification: Trusted

Hi Katy,

I feel for you and your compromise.

Do you have access to a large industrial freezer? If it was me, I would be
bagging and freezing for as long as possible. The longer the better is what I
was told by an entomologist. I tended to try for two to three weeks which is
probably excessive, but generally I had only access to a domestic freezer. I
have used this technique in a previous role where resources were tight. I have
also sent things on pallet in the past to our large state museum and used their
walk-in freezer out of the goodness of their hearts.

Hot tip, if you have difficulty accessing plastic sheeting, make friends with
your local mattress store. They are a waste product and often thrown away but
are robust and can be reused. I generally closed mine with gaffa tape or
packing tape, with the plastic rolled over to create more of a seal. Obviously
just try and make sure the wood is not damp at all.

Sometimes we just need to the best we can do with the resources we have.

Best of luck,

Liz

Elizabeth Marsden

Manager Collections & Archives

A skilled hand, a cultivated mind

[cid:cc7c8820-ffe6-4c2e-848b-d989d4e08add]

email: elizabeth.mars...@rmit.edu.au | phone: 61-3-9925 2000 |

mobile: 0468 618 118 | web: https://www.rmit.edu.au/about/culture

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung
language groups of the eastern Kulin Nations on whose unceded lands we conduct
the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their
Ancestors and Elders, past and present.

RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the
lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business.

IMPORTANT NOTE

This email and any attachments are confidential and subject to copyright.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by reply email and remove and destroy any copies of this email and any
attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, transmission or other use of this email and any
attachments is unauthorised and strictly prohibited.