There is an entire section on mice, trapping, and safely baiting (exterior) On
the museumpest.net page. Safest bait is vitamin D3 based not an anticoagulant.
JTV

________________________________
From: 'Helen Barnes' via MuseumPests <pestlist@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2024 10:36:40 PM
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com <pestlist@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] [PestList] Humane mouse traps

[CAUTION: This message originated from outside the Foundation. Do not click
links, open attachments or take action unless you know the contents are safe]

I didn’t consider the use of snap traps because of having to bait them with
something that would be a food source for insects, but your suggestion of a
cotton ball is a great idea. I also wasn’t familiar with a mouse’s inability to
establish itself in new territory, and the thought of a small, lonely mouse
wandering lost and homeless before eventually dying doesn’t sound exactly
humane, either does the possibility of them dying in the trap.

Thanks so much for this information, Rachael. This will certainly be helpful
when considering new methods of rodent control.

Cheers

Helen

Helen Barnes

Curation Officer

Collections

[cid:7p5ZwoLn0GPUkcdyhwsHglogo-smaller-padding-top_png]

Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria

Birdwood Avenue
Melbourne Victoria 3004

T +61 3 9252 2316<tel:+61%203%209252%202316>
helen.bar...@rbg.vic.gov.au<mailto:helen.bar...@rbg.vic.gov.au>

rbg.vic.gov.au<http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/>

<http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/>

________________________________
[cid:C0n72UxDwkGgfVwtaxwuAflagsx3-smaller-transparent-2_png]

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the lands on which we work, and pay
our respects to their Elders past and present. Click
here<https://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/about-us/publications/> to read more about how
the Gardens values inclusion.

confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright. No part of it should be
reproduced, adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the
sender and/or copyright owner. It is the responsibility of the recipient to
check for and remove viruses. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by return email, delete it from your system and destroy any
copies. You are not authorised to use, communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email. Please consider the environment before printing this
email.