From: Rick Kerschner <rkersch...@shelburnemuseum.org>
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2010 9:03 am
Subject: RE: [pestlist] Clothes Moth Eating Habits

My experience reflects Molly's observations. Whenever I have found insect
infestations they have been on particularly "tasty" artifacts, e.g. taxidermy
mounts, fur mukluks, wool interior of a carriage, that have been in storage in
poor conditions and not vacuumed for ages. With one exception, I cannot
remember a carpet beetle or moth infestation on an artifact on exhibition that
is vacuumed even only yearly. That exception is our hunting lodge filled with
taxidermy specimens. We did find carpet beetles on the specimens, especially in
the horns, after 55 years on exhibit and they had been there at a low level for
quite a while. However, this infestation was not due to detritus carried into
the building by visitors. The artifacts themselves were the source of the food
for the insects.

Although I guess that it is possible for insects to be attracted to small
amounts of protein left by visitors as they tour our buildings, I doubt that
this source or nourishment is the cause of significant collections
infestations. Better to look for a dead bird or rodent in the walls, or a
high-protein artifact that had not seen the light of day or the brush of a
vacuum for years.

Richard L. Kerschner
Director of Preservation and Conservation
Shelburne Museum
PO Box 10, Route 7
Shelburne, VT   05482
(802) 985-3348 x3361