From: Katie Fisher
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 12:03 PM
To: 'pestlist@museumpests.net'
Subject: detecting woodborers

Hi,

My name is Katie Fisher and I'm the new Pest Control Technician at the Glenbow
Museum. I just wanted to ask a somewhat out-there question regarding the
detection of wood borers... this museum has been battling Powderpost Beetles
for quite a while. Every 5 or so years a new wave will appear, a large-scale
treatment process will happen (phosphene), but it just doesn't seem to be
effective in getting rid of the Powderpost population.

Since it takes years for them to exit the wood, I feel like I'm somewhat just
twiddling my thumbs in the meantime, wondering if the last treatment did the
trick. A friend suggested that I might be able to use a stethoscope to hear the
larva inside the wood... does anyone do this, to detect woodborers? Does anyone
think it would be at all effective in hearing them?

Cheers,
Katie

Katie Fisher
Pest Control Technician