To All Members of MuseumPests.Net -

A recent inquiry came into the website from John Simmons about a photograph of
a very old Vapona resin strip found in a museum.  The carboard enclosure was
stained at the bottom; someone attributed this to phosphoric acid.  Allow me to
set the record straight:

In 1948, the Shell Chemical Company obtained a patent for dichlorvos (DDVP,
Vapona), number 2,956,073.  Later a patent was also obtained for techical grade
Vapona.  The Shell No-Pest Strip was introduced in 1963.  This strip had
problems with "bleeding" attributed to the plasticizer formulation in the
strip; hence the one found by Mr. Simmons is probably at least 50-years old.
The stains were from the leaking plasticizers in this strip.

Subsequently, sometime after 1963, the Texize Corporation bought the rights to
the No-Pest Strip from Shell, reformulated it, and produced a resin strip which
did not bleed.  This modified polyvinyl chloride strip was DDVP
(2,2-Dichlorovinyl dimethyl Phosphate) and was given patent number 3,769,416.
This strip was labeled for use in enclosed spaces at a rate of 1 strip per
1,000 cubic feet of space for all sorts of insects.

The strip, when first introduced into a space, generates dichlorvos in about a
week and a half at 120 parts per trillion in the ambient air.  From this point,
the strip gradually loses its generating power to 80 ppt at week 4; 56 ppt at
week 8, 37 ppt at week 12; and approximately 20 ppt at week 16.  Any amount in
excess of approximately 10 ppt will kill insects.  A Texize No-Pest Strip
therefore was effective for 4 months.

On February 12, 1988, the EPA issued Dichlorvos; Notice of Initiation of
Special Review.  As a basis for this review, the EPA scientists produced a
scenario of a 70 kg individual breathing DDVP vapors for a 16 hour day.  Their
calculations were way overstated, based on the amount a resin strip was capable
of producing.  What they really were concerned with was the use of DDVP liquid
and fogging formulations used industrially.

submitted a lengthy letter with citations in attempt to illustrate how their
calculations were way over-stated.  I was attempting to save the resin strip
for use in artifact and specimen protection against pests in museums under
certain situations.  The amount generated by a resin strip simply didn't match
the EPA's theoretical calculations of inhalation dosage for humans.

In the Spring of 1989, in the Textile Conservation News Letter, Sharon Hammick
gave a scathing report of the toxic effects of DDVP.  Unfortunately she
confused the techican grade DDVP to what a resin strip could produce.  At the
time, Canada, where she works, did not have the non-bleeding type resin strip,
and therefore her conclusions were not based on what was available in the
United States from the Texize Corporation.

In 1990, the EPA, which originally classified DDVP as a B-2 probable
carcinogen, downgraded this pesticide to a class C designation; a possible
carcinogen.  Even with the downgrade, the EPA, in November, 1993 revoked the
registration of DDVP for any use in the United States.

A long battle between Amvac Corporation, the current holder of the patents for
the resin strip, and the EPA ensued.  In the interim, I sent several detailed
letters to EPA in support of the use of resin strips for the protection of
museum collections, basically stating the controlled release of minute amounts
of DDVP into the ambient air was way below the level considered harmful to
humans.  In addition, the human body readily detoxifies DDVP to the point where
researchers find it difficult to run tests on humans with this compound.

Finally EPA has now seen the resin strip, if properly used in museums, not to
be a threat to human health. In the last few years, Amvac Corporation has
re-introduced the resin strip to our museum community with EPA Registration
Number 5481-96, which is now called the Nuvan strip.  It is available in a
variety of different sizes and is labeled for museum use.  There are
restrictions on the labels as to how long an individual can occupy a space,
which is being treated.  In certain situations, there are no restrictions.

My rule of thumb, if an infestation must be knocked out in a confined space,
introduce the strip or strips (depending on the cubic footage) for no more than
three weeks.  Within that time, every form of insect life will be killed.  This
short period of time should have no ill effects on artifacts or specimens.  Do
not simply put strips in cases and forget about them.  Hang the strips high
because the DDVP is a bit heavier than air.  If the room is heated above room
temperature, the time can be reduced somewhat.  These strips are quite
effective against carpet beetle, silverfish, and webbing clothes moth
infestations.

Note:  In certain situations, the professional pest management industry uses
Nuvan strips for bed bug control.

I hope this message has given you all insight about the history of the "Shell"
No-Pest Strip and its reintroduction as Nuvan resin strips into the marketplace
for specific use in museums.

Thomas A. Parker, PhD
President, Entomologist
Pest Control Services, Inc.