This is a message from the Pest Management Database List.

Dear all,

I was wondering whether any museum has had any experiences using the
NUVAN strips? And if so, for how long and for what insects were these
strips the most effective?

Many thanks and cheers!

Alina.

***Alina Freire-Fierro***
*Collection Manager,  PH Herbarium, Botany Department
*Academy of Natural Sciences*1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway*
Philadelphia, PA 19103.
*U.S.A.
*herbar...@ansp.org; freirefie...@ansp.org.  www.ansp.org

*W: 215-299-1157 *H: 215-667-7764*

"When I observe the fate of botanists, upon my word I doubt whether to
call them sane or mad in their devotion to plants" [Linnaeus, Critica
botanica, 1737]

***Please do not print this message unless it is strictly necessary***

<8cd9088d8162f72-1b08-d...@webmail-m113.sysops.aol.com>,
<bugma...@aol.com>
wrote:

> To All Members of MuseumPests.Net -
>
> A recent inquiry came into the website from John Simmons about a
photograph
> of a very old Vapona resin strip found in a museum.  The carboard
enclosure
> was stained at the bottom; someone attributed this to phosphoric
acid.  Allow
> me to set the record straight:
>
> In 1948, the Shell Chemical Company obtained a patent for dichlorvos
(DDVP,
> Vapona), number 2,956,073.  Later a patent was also obtained for
techical
> grade Vapona.  The Shell No-Pest Strip was introduced in 1963.  This
strip
> had problems with "bleeding" attributed to the plasticizer
formulation in the
> strip; hence the one found by Mr. Simmons is probably at least
50-years old.
> The stains were from the leaking plasticizers in this strip.
>
> Subsequently, sometime after 1963, the Texize Corporation bought the
rights
> to the No-Pest Strip from Shell, reformulated it, and produced a
resin strip
> which did not bleed.  This modified polyvinyl chloride strip was DDVP

> (2,2-Dichlorovinyl dimethyl Phosphate) and was given patent number
3,769,416.
>  This strip was labeled for use in enclosed spaces at a rate of 1
strip per
> 1,000 cubic feet of space for all sorts of insects.
>
> The strip, when first introduced into a space, generates dichlorvos
in about
> a week and a half at 120 parts per trillion in the ambient air.  From
this
> point, the strip gradually loses its generating power to 80 ppt at
week 4; 56
> ppt at week 8, 37 ppt at week 12; and approximately 20 ppt at week
16.  Any
> amount in excess of approximately 10 ppt will kill insects.  A Texize
No-Pest
> Strip therefore was effective for 4 months.
>
> On February 12, 1988, the EPA issued Dichlorvos; Notice of Initiation
of
> Special Review.  As a basis for this review, the EPA scientists
produced a
> scenario of a 70 kg individual breathing DDVP vapors for a 16 hour
day.
> Their calculations were way overstated, based on the amount a resin
strip was
> capable of producing.  What they really were concerned with was the
use of
> DDVP liquid and fogging formulations used industrially.

> submitted a lengthy letter with citations in attempt to illustrate
how their
> calculations were way over-stated.  I was attempting to save the
resin strip
> for use in artifact and specimen protection against pests in museums
under
> certain situations.  The amount generated by a resin strip simply
didn't
> match the EPA's theoretical calculations of inhalation dosage for
humans.

> In the Spring of 1989, in the Textile Conservation News Letter,
Sharon
> Hammick gave a scathing report of the toxic effects of DDVP.
Unfortunately
> she confused the techican grade DDVP to what a resin strip could
produce.  At
> the time, Canada, where she works, did not have the non-bleeding type
resin
> strip, and therefore her conclusions were not based on what was
available in
> the United States fro
m the Texize Corporation.

> In 1990, the EPA, which originally classified DDVP as a B-2 probable

> carcinogen, downgraded this pesticide to a class C designation; a
possible
> carcinogen.  Even with the downgrade, the EPA, in November, 1993
revoked the
> registration of DDVP for any use in the United States.
>
> A long battle between Amvac Corporation, the current holder of the
patents
> for the resin strip, and the EPA ensued.  In the interim, I sent
several
> detailed letters to EPA in support of the use of resin strips for the

> protection of museum collections, basically stating the controlled
release of
> minute amounts of DDVP into the ambient air was way below the level

> considered harmful to humans.  In addition, the human body readily
detoxifies
> DDVP to the point where researchers find it difficult to run tests on
humans
> with this compound.
>
> Finally EPA has now seen the resin strip, if properly used in
museums, not
> to be a threat to human health. In the last few years, Amvac
Corporation has
> re-introduced the resin strip to our museum community with EPA
Registration
> Number 5481-96, which is now called the Nuvan strip.  It is available
in a
> variety of different sizes and is labeled for museum use.  There are

> restrictions on the labels as to how long an individual can occupy a
space,
> which is being treated.  In certain situations, there are no
restrictions.

> My rule of thumb, if an infestation must be knocked out in a confined
space,
> introduce the strip or strips (depending on the cubic footage) for no
more
> than three weeks.  Within that time, every form of insect life will
be
> killed.  This short period of time should have no ill effects on
artifacts or
> specimens.  Do not simply put strips in cases and forget about them.
Hang
> the strips high because the DDVP is a bit heavier than air.  If the
room is
> heated above room temperature, the time can be reduced somewhat.
These