  From: John E Simmons
  To: pestlist@museumpests.net
  Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 10:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [pestlist] removing sticky traps from a silk object

  Dr Rauf,
  There are no chemicals that repel lizards that are safe to use in collections
(or around humans, for that matter).  The lizards are on the walls because they
are eating the insects they find on the walls so rather than trying to get rid
of the lizards, you should focus on getting rid of their food supply.  If the
lizards have no insects to feed on, they will move somewhere else.

  On the positive side, the lizards are probably eating some collection pests;
on the negative side, the lizard fecal matter and shed skin may attract more
pests.

  Often lizards are found on walls because lights on the walls attract insects
(I have seen this often in Thailand).  If you can reposition lights so that
they are not attached to the walls it will reduce the amount of insects on the
walls and thus make them less attractive for the lizards.  Place the lights so
that they are not attached to the wall, but shine on the wall--this way, the
insects will be attracted to the light source rather than the wall surface.

  If it is necessary to remove the lizards from the walls, you can use flat
sticky traps to catch the lizards by attaching the traps to the walls where the
lizards crawl.  The lizards can either be humanely euthanized when they are
caught in the traps, or removed from the sticky traps by using vegetable oil.
However, unless you can seal the building and/or eliminate the insects the
lizards are feeding on, they will return.

  --John

  John E. Simmons
  Museologica
  128 E. Burnside Street
  Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
  simmons.jo...@gmail.com
  303-681-5708
  www.museologica.com
  and
  Adjunct Curator of Collections
  Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
  Penn State University
  University Park, Pennsylvania