Michaela -

Let me add to what Tom is saying.  There are several factors to balance when
applying thermal treatments.  First is the critical temperatures - and -20 deg
C is usually manageable, and many of the tests have been done at that
temperature.  Second, the length of time can be determined by the density of
the pieces in question. Herbaria and archive material are often treated as
stacks or blocks of paper based materials - it takes longer for the center of
the material being treated to get to the critical temperature.

>From my own experience (I was involved in moving a collection in which
>Thylodrias contractus was a known presence from an old building to a new
>museum facility.  We passed the entire dry biological (skins, taxidermy,
>insects and skeletal collection) as well as other collections materials that
>were susceptible to infestation through a walk-in freezer (we had one - we had
>more time) that maintained -20 C.  Each batch of collections that went through
>were in the freezer for 1-3 weeks - generally 2 weeks.  We successfully
>knocked down the infestation by 99%.  The collection went into new clean
>cabinets. There have been no re-occurrences in storage for 10 years.

One week at -20 should do it - but I usually recommend 2 weeks - especially for
a mass treatment such as this.

I recommend going to Tom Strang's article on the CCI web-site as the best way
to determine the length of time and critical temperature.

http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/crc/articles/mcpm/chap06-eng.aspx#10c1a

Good luck!

Gretchen  Anderson

Conservator