This is a definition of silk from one publication:

"Sericin is a
hot water-soluble macromolecular globular protein. It represents a
family of proteins having molecular mass of 10 to 310 kDa. Sericin
envelops the fibroin fibre with successive sticky layers that help in
the formation of cocoon. Sericin contributes about 20-30% of the total
cocoon weight. The sericin protein is made of 18 amino acids most of
which have strongly polar side groups such as hydroxyl, carboxyl and
amino groups."

I'd say that silk is a protein, but is not keratin
containing. Dermestids don't feed on silk, but possibly tineid
caterpillars are able to? Yes, it's true that both tineid and dermestid
larvae will chew on silks as Tom notes, especially if there are stains
and residues that must be "tasty". In a natural situation, in
caterpillar silk mats and spider webs or retreats, there can be parts of
shed skins, dried insect and arachnid corpses (including dried spider
prey), and the like that would constitute a good diet for foraging
dermestid and tineid larvae.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:49:22 -0500,
bugma...@aol.com wrote:

> This is a message from the Museumpests
List.
pestlist@museumpests.net
> To unsubscribe please look at the footer of
this email.

> Neither
dermestids nor clothes moth larvae eat silk. Silk has no keratin (animal
protein) in it. The text books are wrong. If dermestids or clothes moth
larvae damage silk, they inadvertently do so as they graze on the
sizing. Silk threads are so fine, the larvae may damage them, but they
are not "feeding" on the silken threads. They simply chew through them
as they forage of the sizing. Wool, horse hair, whale baleen, porcupine
quills, embroidery, etc. all have keratin and will support fabric pest
larval development.