From: ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of Lou
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:42 AM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: Re: [pestlist] identification help sought

To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>

This is a definition of silk from one publication:

"Sericin is a hot water-soluble macromolecular globular protein. It represents
a family of proteins having molecular mass of 10 to 310 kDa. Sericin envelops
the fibroin fibre with successive sticky layers that help in the formation of
cocoon. Sericin contributes about 20-30% of the total cocoon weight. The
sericin protein is made of 18 amino acids most of which have strongly polar
side groups such as hydroxyl, carboxyl and amino groups."

I'd say that silk is a protein, but is not keratin containing.  Dermestids
don't feed on silk, but possibly tineid caterpillars are able to?  Yes, it's
true that both tineid and dermestid larvae will chew on silks as Tom notes,
especially if there are stains and residues that must be "tasty".  In a natural
situation, in caterpillar silk mats and spider webs or retreats, there can be
parts of shed skins, dried insect and arachnid corpses (including dried spider
prey), and the like that would constitute a good diet for foraging dermestid
and tineid larvae.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:49:22 -0500, bugma...@aol.com<mailto:bugma...@aol.com>