Dermestid beetle larvae don't have to chew into a carcass, but feed
on pieces, too. You find them in insect carcasses, but feed on shed
skins, too. Hair, feathers are eaten; small, dead, insects, too.

On
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:33:26 -0500, bugma...@aol.com wrote:

> This is a
message from the Museumpests List.
email to pestlist@museumpests.net
> To unsubscribe please look at the
footer of this email.

> Group -

> In order for carpet beetle larvae to feed on an insect carcass,
the carcass needs to be large enough for the larva to chew its way
inside. Small insects, like midges, would not be a suitable meal for
carpet beetle larvae. Most of the time, carpet beetle larvae feed on
wasp, beetle, fly, large moth, and cockroach carcasses, as well as dead
animals, such as birds, snakes, frogs, squirrels, mice and rats.

Tom Parker

pestlist
> Sent: Sat, Jan 7, 2012 1:01 pm
> Subject: Re: [pestlist]
LinkedIn discussion

> This is a message from the Museumpests List.

[1]
> To unsubscribe please look at the footer of this email.

> Hello
Shae,
> I used to be a docent at The Hunt and was one of the first
Insect Inspectors (if only for a short time before returning to England
and studying the subject in greater depth at University) So I know how
close to the water you are.

> As has been pointed out the Pheromone
traps don't tend to drag in pests from outside, but never underestimate
the importance of catching 'Non-Real Pests' in the blunder traps.

They are a very important indicator of all sorts of situations. The most
obvious is when you collect a lot of wood-lice or silverfish, indicating
a damp problem, Or a lot of spiders perhaps enticed in due to high
levels of flies.
> Your large numbers of Dipterans may mean poor window
or door seals or a serious water ingress! They also provide a great
source of food for 'real' pests, but if you are checking (and chucking)
traps every 2 weeks hopefully they aren't around long enough to draw
attention.

23:07, Shae wrote:

>> Hi Tom
>>
>> Our outdoor lighting at the
Hunt Museum is sodium vapour, so we're being very good. Even so, our
proximity to the Shannon river results in quite a high number of aquatic
flies (mostly Dipterans) that clutter up our blunder traps but are
harmless. Thus my interest in the pheromone traps, which would attract
only real pests.

no quotes please.

> You are receiving the Pestlist emails in standard
mode.
imail...@museumpests.net [4] with this command in the body:

> set
mode digest pestlist