From: Gärtner, Leonie <l.gaert...@smb.spk-berlin.de>
To: pestlist <pestlist@museumpests.net>
Sent: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 10:15 am
Subject: [pestlist] freezing damp wooden objects

o post to this list send it as an email to pestlist@museumpests.net
o unsubscribe please look at the footer of this email.
My museum recently acquired many painted wooden objects from Papua New Guinea.
hey are heavily infested with different woodboring insects, which we would like
o eradicate by freezing at -30°C.
owever the objects arrived in a damp state (wood humidity 16-18%), and cannot
e dried prior to the treatment.
ill there be substantial damage due to the formation of ice inside the wood?
maller objects have been frozen to -20°C without apparent damage, but I am
till uncertain.
'd be very greatful for any help and advice!
- -
eonie Gärtner
ipl. Restauratorin (Südsee und Australien)
bt.III
thnologisches Museum
taatliche Museen zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Arnimallee 27
4195 Berlin
Fon:+49 30 8301-338
ax:+49 30 8301-500