My family began cleaning fur garments s in the 1920's.

The trick is to clean the fur without affecting (removing oils) from the
pelt. Immersion will usually ruin the pelts, so a granular material is
used to scrub the individual hairs.

I've never heard of potato flour being used, but it makes sense. In our
operations (and the others I have seen), sawdust, ground wood, or ground
corn cobs are used as the scrubbing medium. They can be dampened with a
solvent of choice (water, petroleum based solvent, etc.), or the medium
may be used dry. Once tumbled or rubbed into the fur, the medium (and
the dirt it holds) must be completely removed.

In Europe in the early part of the last century, fur cleanersr (their
apprentices, children, etc.) would beat out the sawdust from the furs
with bamboo canes. I understand (from discussing with a real "old
timer") that this was difficult and dirty work. In "modern" commericial
operations, we used cylindrical cages (like a giant dryer drum made of
fencing) to tumble the furs to shake out the bulk of the sawdust. The
corners and pockets were cleaned of sawdust residue with compressed air.
Then garments were brushed, sprayed with an appropriate shining agent
(often containing silicone), and ironed on specialized machines. Then
buttons were uncovered, linings fixed and steamed, garments sorted,
examined, invoiced, stored, shipped, etc.   (more than anyone needed to
know?)

hope this is of use, at least anecdotally you have other options (see
above), and the idea of potato flour residue (there's always some
residue) makes me nervous.

js

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Microclimate Systems
800 683 4696  www.keepsafe.ca <http://www.keepsafe.ca/>
i...@keepsafe.ca
Specializing in the design, procurement, and installation of
environmental control systems in museums and archives.