From: Neel, Scott A CIV USARMY FCOE (US) (US) <scott.a.neel2....@mail.mil>
To: pestlist <pestlist@museumpests.net>
Sent: Tue, Nov 28, 2017 12:51 pm
Subject: [pestlist] Pheromone Pest Control Traps (UNCLASSIFIED)

This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Good morning.  I work for the US Army at one of their museums and we use
pheromone pest control traps, especially for carpet beetles.  One of my staff
was at a US Army museums course two weeks ago and was told by two conservators
that all pheromone traps must be removed from all Army museums as they lure
bugs in from outside with the pheromone - like through doors and windows.  They
stated that it attracts more insects in to the buildings and makes it more
difficult to control pests (we have these pheromone traps as well as ground
traps near doors and windows to catch anything coming in - no carpet beetles in
the floor traps but we do get a couple in the pheromone traps).  I have never
heard of this happening before and wanted to check to see anyone has heard of
this or knew approximately how far one of the pheromone traps "odor" went out
from the trap.  I just can't see that one of these small traps can lure insects
through doors and walls like the two conservators stated.  Any information you
could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott A. Neel, PhD
Director / Curator
Fort Sill National Historic Landmark and Museum
US Army Fires Center of Excellence
372 Gannahl Road
Fort Sill, OK   73503
Office:  580-442-6570