On 4 August 2010 12:44, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> ?Lisandro,
>
> ? ?We would like to help you make it possible for petsc4py to be installed by
> easyinstall and automatically install PETSc with it, thus making it trivial
> for Python users to start using petsc4py. How can we help make this happen?

$ export PETSC_DIR=/path/to/petsc
$ export PETSC_ARCH=arch-name
$ easy_install petsc4py

This should work and be enough (at least on Linux)...

Disclaimer: I've not actually tested this in a long time. If it does
not work, it should easy to fix. Right not I do not remember the
logics to make things work with prefix and non-prefix PETSc installs,
but I remember handling these two cases.

> ? ?I image the petsc4py install would look for mpi4py, if it finds it then
> figure out the MPI used to build it and pass that MPi information on to
> PETSc's configure.

Perhaps this will surprise you: petsc4py does not depend in any way on
mpi4py. Still, you can still pass an mpi4py.MPI.Comm instance, and
petsc4py will accept it and do the right thing...

> If it does not find mpi4py then it would tell PETSc configure to not use MPI.
> If this doesn't make sense, I just made it up so I can understand it might
> not make sense, tell us how it should work.

petsc4py actually parses PETSc makefiles
($PETSC_ARCH/conf/petscvariables) and uses that for build. So petsc4py
will use mpicc or plain gcc depending on the value of makefile
variables like PCC.

> ? ?We would also like to add some nightly tests for petsc-dev/petsc4py-dev
> and help keep petsc4py-dev in sync with petsc-dev.

Having nightly tests running would be wonderful. About keeping it in
sync with petsc-dev, I have one additional issue: keep it working
against previous PETSc releases...

>Satish can you check into how you can add this?

Provided that Cython is installed, It is just a matter of following
the steps below:

cd petsc4py-dev
hg pull -u
python conf/cythonize.py
export PETSC_DIR=<...>
export PETSC_ARCH=<...>
python setup.py install --home=...|--prefix=....
python test/runtests.py

PS: I'll not be available until next Monday. But all what Barry wants
should be VERY easy to setup.

--
Lisandro Dalcin