Barry Smith <bsm...@mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>    For many years we tried to make all Fortran examples except one or two be
> very backwards compatible, no free form etc etc.
>
>    Should we switch and now just make PETSc by default use modern approaches?
> freeform with no continuation characters?

I'm in favor of converting the examples, or all but one or two.

What about the headers?  We can only convert those if _everyone_ uses
free-form, otherwise we're excluding someone.  So I think we have to
keep those in obtuse hybrid format (free-form continuation after column
72 so fixed-form doesn't read it, etc).