Apologies, I accidentally hit "reply" instead of "reply-all."

Thank you for the reference. Actually, I just tested that N ~ 1e4 case
where I had saved the dense matrix to a python-readable format. Using
scipy.linalg.eigvalsh, I got the eigenvalues in ~1.5 minutes. They agree
with the ones I got from SLEPc as well. I believe the scipy routine just
calls LAPACK in the backend, so I assume I would get similar results if I
used the LAPACK solver in SLEPc.

The MatShell object I am working with requires me to operate on multiple
processes to fit all the data, so to use the LAPACK solver in SLEPc, I
believe I would have to read/write the dense matrix as well.

So at the cost of storing the dense matrix, I think the dense eigensolver
seems to be the way to go. I will need to store at least one large dense
matrix of this size for my application, so that should not be the limiting
factor.

Sreeram