there is, you just wrote it:

> A lookup in an empty list/tree would of course equal a single pointer
> comparison

;-)

> And since the lookup happens after the ordinary state lookup (and only
> if that fails), the cost occurs only per connection, not per packet.
> Compare to the per packet cost of forwarding the connection through
> userland...

well. there is additional cost. we need to take care. we start adding little
nifty features here and there, and for itself they all don't cost much.
a few "doesn't cost much" added together gives a noticeable additional cost.

I question that it can be done secure at all.

Aside from that:
people using ftp-proxy in front of a ftp-server which is not NATed make a
fault. it's not needed.